Nominet (.uk registry) will start accepting applications to register "short" domain names from 12:00 GMT on 1 December 2010. The list of domain names to be released can be viewed here.
The complete rules relating to the release process can be viewed here.
There will be four phases:
1. Registered Rights Sunrise (1 December 2010 – 17 January 2011)
Reserved for holders of Eligible Trade Marks exactly matching the short domain being made available (excluding the suffix co.uk, org. uk etc) and in force as of 1 January 2008 AND who can provide evidence of bona fide use in the UK on or before 1 January 2008, to the satisfaction of an independent IP rights validation assessor.
2. Unregistered Rights Sunrise (to be confirmed)
Reserved for holders of registered and unregistered trade marks. The Unregistered Rights Sunrise phase is for (i) any person who would have qualified for the first sunrise but missed the application deadline and (ii) the holders of unregistered rights enforceable in the UK exactly matching the short domain being made available and in force as of 1 January 2008 AND who can provide evidence of bona fide use in the UK on or before 1 January 2008, to the satisfaction of an independent IP rights validation assessor.
3. Landrush (to be confirmed)
Interested parties can register domain names not previously registered through the Registered Rights Sunrise or the Unregistered Rights Sunrise.
4. General Availability (to be confirmed)
Domain names not previously registered through the Registered Rights Sunrise, Unregistered Rights Sunrise or the Landrush will be available for registration on a first-come, first-served basis.
Multiple applications: At each stage, where there are two or more qualifying applicants for a domain name, an open auction process will be used to decide the successful applicant, with any profits going to Nominet Trust.
An “Eligible Trade Mark” is a trade mark which has been registered and where the registration meets the following criteria:
• The mark text of the trade mark exactly matches the domain name being applied for;
• The trade mark registration is in force in the UK;
• The registration date of the trade mark is on or before 1 January 2008;
• The trade mark continues to be in force at the date the Application is validated by the Validation Agent; and
• The trade mark has been put to use in the UK in relation to a genuine offering of goods or services on or before 1 January 2008 as determined by the Validation Agent in its absolute discretion.
Registered Rights Sunrise - £110.00 per domain name
Unregistered Rights Sunrise – £120.00 per domain name
Email [email protected] to obtain more information or to submit your application.
The costs exclude VAT and are non-refundable.